Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Favorite Award of the Year


When a package arrived yesterday afternoon, I had no idea that it would contain the final chapter of a brevet I began on August 26, 2010. As everyone will attest, Eastern PA RBA Tom R. is a straight-up guy. He puts on a huge array of outstanding events, is highly organized and has a heart as big as the whole outdoors. Tom is also known for providing solid support on his events. What people may not know, though, is that Tom's support is not limited to those currently riding on one of his routes. All throughout my long recovery from a crash on his Endless Mountains 1000K last year, Tom never stopped providing support to me or to my family.

Riders who completed the EM 1000K received a lovely framed map of the course in which to display their ACP medal. While I did not receive an ACP medal due to my DNF, Tom was kind enough to send me the framed map as a memento of my ride and my struggle to return to full form.

This gift is especially timely as I will clip in on Saturday morning at Tom's Stillwater 200K in a return to PA cycling after a long time away. This event will also serve as my November R-12 ride. The forecast is for outstanding weather. I look forward to seeing Tom at the final control, this time with a completed brevet card.

No comments:

Post a Comment