Monday, December 3, 2012

And finally, the R-12 medal!


Some goals are harder than others to realize, which makes their realization that much sweeter. Such was the case with the R-12. The RUSA R-12 medal is awarded to those cyclists who ride at least one 200K event in each of twelve sequential months. Miss one and you start over again. The R-12 is not an easy award to capture and at times it seemed like the cycling was the least of my concerns. Life just gets in the way. Between family and work commitments and errant snowstorms, this can be one challenging accomplishment. Between July 2011 and June 2012, though, I put my mind to it with a near single-minded determination. The R-12 was the perfect compliment to my return to randonneuring. I began with the NYC 200K, my maiden post-recovery brevet and ended with the Central NY 400K and the Westfield 600K, my two longest rides since the accident. In between is a tale filled with joy and redemption. The individual ride reports (below) bring me right back. Just yesterday, after two of the busiest months I can recall, I rode a 200K permanent with a few friends. Who knows, maybe a second R-12 is in the offing?

July

August

September

October

November

December

January

February

March

April

May

June

3 comments:

  1. George, Congratulations on your R-12 completion and well done! I was happy to see that an Eastern PA event was one of your 12 rides, as you progressed with your amazing recovery. Best of luck with your 1200k plans next year -- I'm confident you'll do well. -Tom Rosenbauer, Eastern PA RBA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom! You know, better than anyone, the hole I was climbing out of. It was a great thrill to ride in PA again and I look forward to doing more of the same in the coming year. Thanks for your endless support. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Well earned and well deserved.

    ReplyDelete