Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Errandonnée in (Almost) One Day!

When you notice that MG is up to something over at Chasing Mailboxes, it's best to pay attention. Unfortunately, I've been so busy and the winter weather has been so hellacious that I nearly missed the big #errandonnée challenge. 12 errands in 12 days over a minimum of 30 miles. What's not to love about that? Luckily, I noticed an 11th hour tweet on Tuesday announcing the final 24 hours and I kicked it into high gear. With two commuting rides under my belt last week, this would only require ten errands in one day to complete the challenge. Visiting family in Western Maryland, this was not going to be easy, but as every randonneur knows, if things were easy, they wouldn't be quite so much fun, now would they? The catch - there was the 5-1/2 hour drive home to upstate New York squeezed into the middle of the day.

Last Wednesday's commute complete with a seasonal dusting.

On Friday, I left my pannier (with laptop) in the dining room.

To start, I volunteered to bring my nephews to the bus stop. 

A quick "breakfast" at Dunkin' Donuts.

A stop at the Giant in Germantown for car provisions.

Back in NY, I just made it to the post office before closing time.

Sunset is always such a lovely time to ride.

An espresso at the Mudd Puddle perked me right up.

Found an interesting book at the New Paltz library.

Picked up some fresh rugelach for dessert at The Bakery.

Treating myself to a new toothbrush.

Grabbed a bag of pasta for a quick dinner.

A little snack to fuel the return trip.

On the way home.

Done! Thanks, MG for organizing another exciting excuse to get off the couch and onto my bike.

Next up: The Dingman's Ferry 200K in honor of Washington's crossing of the Delaware on his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment