Saturday, January 5, 2013

LEL Sells Out in 11 hours 45 minutes!


I cannot believe it! After receiving an email from London-Edinburgh-London organizers this week indicating that registration for the 2013 edition was now open, I discovered this morning that despite increasing capacity from 600 to 950 riders, the event sold out in less than twelve hours! While the event website indicates that additional places may become available in the future, I would not place my eggs in that basket.

Having just finished reading Barring Mechanicals, a very enjoyable book-length ride report on LEL 2009 written by a British recumbent rider and first-timer Andy Allsopp this morning, I have been feeling particularly nostalgic about the event. Barring Mechanicals is available as an e-book on Kindle for merely $3.25 and is worth the time it will take you to read it whether or not you're planning to ride in 2013.

If you are one of the lucky ones to have secured a spot on LEL 2013, a great source information for planning is YACF (Yet Another Cycling Forum). Filled with chatter about everything from weather to gear and clothing choices, first-time participants will find a wealth of helpful advice from this group. Posts often reflect a typically dry British humor which is an added bonus. As I've written before, this really is a must-ride event for all sensible randonneurs. If transportation from the US weren't so expensive, I'd be registered for a second go at it myself already.

If you were hoping to ride LEL, but were not lucky enough to register in time, there are still spaces left in several of the domestic 1200s, such as the Gold Rush Randonnee where you'll find me in June 2013. Don't hesitate, though, these spots won't last forever . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment