Sunday, May 1, 2011

When DNS = Definitely Not Stupid.


DNS (Did Not Start). These three letters are only marginally better than the dreaded DNF (Did Not Finish). It's an absolutely perfect day for a spring ride and yet, with 32,000 riders feeling like they just won the lottery in NYC, I sit here in my living room. Why? Well, after a steady climb towards greater pain-free shoulder mobility, I began to feel pronounced nerve pain shooting down my left arm this past week. It's not steady or unbearable, but it is concerning and limits my range of motion. I've had to back off my physical therapy exercises a bit and hope it's not something I've caused through overuse. On Monday, I logged my longest ride to date with 24 miles. Old George would have simply thrown the bikes into the car today and said "screw it, I'm sure the pain will work itself out." New George, on the other hand, is more concerned with long-term progress, so while I'm very disappointed to miss this year's Five Boro Bike Tour with my son, I hope this temporary disappointment leads to better healing and recovery. So instead of 42 thrilling miles with sun and wind in my hair, I'm off to the gym for some sweaty stationary miles and a little lifting. I realize now that sometimes, DNS means definitely not stupid. Onward ho!

5 comments:

  1. Pulling for your complete recovery George- this is only a bump in the road

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's okay George, best to listen to your body and avoid permanent damage. The season is still young! I was happy to see Branson's post. I rode part of Shenandoah with him in '09 before my DNF. BTW, my new orthotics seem to have finally mitigated my permanent nerve damage/hotfeet issues. Maybe we can stage our comebacks together in VA next year?

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noticed your blog entries from the randon group. Have you tried Trigger Point massage therapy? I've not had surgery, but I've had a pinched nerve that shot pain down my arm. Made it difficult to ride until I found relief with self-administered trigger point therapy. Might be worth a try. You can get info at http://www.triggerpointbook.com/. I'm not associated with the book or author, just a satisfied user of the techniques in the book.

    Darrell
    darrellgoodwin.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. discretion is the better part of rehab. the 5BT is a fun madhouse. We have a nice flat 200K permanent here at the jersey shore when you're ready. Len Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement! Slowly but surely, I'm getting there. Patience is not generally my default mode.

    ReplyDelete